- 1921 to 1933 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Scope and content
Material relating to the Old Cambians (the South London Group) from 1921 to the 1930s, including press cuttings, letters, photographs, catalogues, and print materials produced by the group. (There are also slides and floppy discs created later, not by the group.)
The Old Cambians Art Club was established around 1920 with the aim of ‘bringing before the public the work of artists associated with Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts’. It was offered the use of the South London Art Gallery by the council; an exhibition of work was held annually there, as were events such as fancy-dress balls. Around 1927 the name was changed to the South London Group (sometimes referred to as the South London Art Group) to reflect the widening of its membership to any artist or craftsperson who wished to join. In 1970, the group’s name changed once more, to the South London Artists. They continued to hold an annual exhibition at the SLG until the late 1980s.